Scientific Method-
1.) Ask a question: Do organic eggs taste better than regular, cheaper eggs?
2.) Background: About a year ago we tried organic milk to see if it would help Daniels ... sensitive digestive system. We found it to help significantly with this ailment and as another bonus was that it tasted AWESOME! I hate milk. I never drink it, but organic milk? So yummy! Such a huge difference. So we wondered if eggs would be any different.
3.) Hypothesis: Daniel- he thought that between the 3 types of eggs we used in the experiment there would be minimal difference between them. Me- due to my love of the organic milk, I thought that the organic eggs would taste better.
4.) Test: We bought 3 different types of eggs at Wal-Mart. Regular Large Eggs for $1.46. Grain fed eggs for $1.74. Then Great Value Organic Eggs for $3.17. Then Daniel went down this morning and cooked the three different types of eggs 2 ways, scrambled and over easy. Only he knew which plate held which type of egg. We judged each egg on appearance, taste of the yoke, taste of the white and the difference between scrambled and over easy.
5.) Results: Color- the regular eggs were really dull in color. The yoke was a muted yellow. The organic and grain fed eggs were a bright, yummy yellow.
Taste of the yoke- Organic had much more flavor and a better consistency.
Taste of the white- Grain fed and organic were very similar, however we felt that the organic one was slightly better tasting. The regular eggs I spit out because it tasted so rubbery. It was gross!
Scrambled vs over easy- I LOVED the organic scrambled eggs. It tasted clean and fresh and natural. It was an obvious difference between the other eggs.
-Then he asked me to guess which plate contained which egg. The first one I guessed was grain fed eggs. The second the regular eggs and the third the organic eggs. I was right because there was such an obvious different.
Therefore, our conclusion is that organic eggs taste SO much better than regular eggs. This made us SO mad because they obviously cost so much more than the gross eggs! Also, the shell in organic eggs are brown and spotted and different shapes. Another obvious 'natural' sign for us. They put all this junk into the animals and it changes the taste of the product a TON. We don't need all the junk! Which is another reason we are ticked that the organic eggs were so much yummier. We have never considered ourselves as the 'granola' type or crazy about food and stuff. Sadly though we are finding that organic food really does taste so much better and honestly that is important to us. Why does eating healthy cost so much money!? UGH- I am hoping that the prices will go lower.
I recently babysat at a persons house who is more organic than I have ever seen in my entire life (woman didn't have a microwave). And Daniel and I tried organic ice cream she had there. Oh my gosh! We were immediately hooked. I can count on one hand how many times I have eaten plain vanilla ice cream, but this stuff- did not need one topping or add-in or anything. It was SO good!
So what the heck? It tastes SO much better and is better for you. Why not? That is our conclusion. We are going to try and move across the organic line slowly because it really is more expensive, but so far we are totally sold on eggs and milk.
Our next experiment? We are going to see if the organic eggs make cookies (so if you bake with them) taste better. Do you think we'll be able to tell a difference? At least we'll have 2 huge batches of cookies to make sure to test each type thoroughly
2 comments:
Interesting. I'll have to check out the organic eggs and milk. John has crappy digestive health too so maybe that will help him. He is suppose to only drink soy milk, but we'll see. I'm curious whether you'll be able to tell in the cookies!
Thanks for doing the experiment so I don't have to! Taylee drinks organic milk and I snuck a drink - YUMMY! Granted, it was whole milk and I normally drink skim. :)
Post a Comment