Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Boy is 2!

It was a bitter sweet day, as I'm sure it will be forever. Who knew that 23 May would have such significance in our lives. Not only was our life changed in 2010 with the arrival of Alex, it was also when Adam was due. We tried our best to make sure Alex had a special day despite the other issues that were weighing on our minds. Alex has a birthday book (thank you Aunty Mel) and as soon as I told him it was his birthday he ran to retrieve his 'study material'. Needless to say he knew that it was a special day. Even requesting/demanding a birthday cake and a candle to blow out. This, after no coaxing from me or dad. Kid is just smart. 
We decorated his room. He woke Daniel up at 6:30 because he was so excited to show daddy the balloons :-)
He helped me make his 3 birthday cakes! The best part of being the birthday boy is eating cake batter!

As everyone knows, Alex is a bit obsessed with trucks. Therefore the theme of his party was a no brainer. I didn't want to make it a big deal and so it wasn't. If you ask Daniel it was, but trust me I could have gone so much more crazy :-)  

HIS CAKE!! This was my favorite part ever. It was a conglomeration of many ideas coming together to form a fun cake. So here's what it took: 3 chocolate boxed cakes, 2 packages of chocolate pudding, 2 packages of oreos, 2 cartons of chocolate icing, 1 giant package of gummy worms and 2 tubs of whipped cream. And thus the "Dump Truck Dirt Cake" was born :-) I didn't know what in the heck I was doing because we had just dreamt it up so I just kinda started and I think it turned out better than I could have ever imagined. I just layered everything. Starting with one cake, broken up into chuncks. Then a drizzle of melted chocolate frosting. Topped with pudding 'boulders'. Then the creepy crawlers were added and covered with Oreo dirt. Repeat two more times. 


After the birthday song had been sung the kids got to scoop up their birthday cake with shovels and put it in their little buckets :-) It was so cute! Loved it! So fun! 
The many faces of Alex. This is what happens when I say 'smile'

The decorations

With grandpa, his most favorite, and their fire truck hats

Probably my favorite group of pics - I just think he is so cute



And of course there was a truck pinata

His party friends 
Here is a little video of Alex hitting the truck :-) 

We had such a great time! Alex got a big slide and a lawn mower and trucks and he got to see all of his favorite people. Uncle Christian, Uncle Andrew and Uncle Matthew etc were also requested - but we couldn't deliver :-( 
I can't believe our boy is 2 already. Its been a roller coaster of a year, but no matter what happens at the end of the day just being around him makes everything better. 
And his stats are.....
  • Weight: 28.6 lbs - 55%ile
  • Height: 35 inches - 70%ile
  • Head: 19.5 inched - 75%ile
  • Favorite books: Any and all books, especially truck and lawn mower books
  • Favorite food: Chicken nuggets, ranch, fruit snacks and apple juice
  • He knows 70+ words
  • Counts up to 13
  • Recognizes all the letters (upper case and tries to sing the song all the way through)
  • He loves to run, go on slides, ride on grandpas four-wheelers and ride in grandpas truck
  • Knows basic colors
  • Ya- I can't think of other things to add.... maybe later :-) 


2 comments:

Audrey Crisp said...

What a cutie! Great cake! Looks like he had a great b day!!

jennie said...

What an awesome party idea! I remember his really cute birthday party from last year too! You're a pro :) And, I also just learned how to spell "conglomeration". Thanks Steph!