Sunday, March 25, 2012

This week was Horrible!

They are bound to happen. Its been pretty quiet around here so it was only a matter of time, right? But whew! This one was a doozy. Most everything is under control now, but we had heavy loads to push. Heres to knowing the Lord knows what He's doing!!!!
It started out with Daniel stretched to the max with the rotation he was doing. For some reason this particular doc just took the life outta him. He would come home with this 'deer in the headlights' look and take a while to snap out of it. He'd work almost 12 hour days for a simple family practice doctor who was very draining on the psyche. Daniel is such a HUGE help around the house especially now that bending is really becoming a chore for me so I had less than Christ like feelings for this particular doc. I don't like seeing my amazing man so drained.
Then, Daniel has a condition in his esophagus that causes it to gradually get smaller and smaller as time goes on. This makes swallowing difficult, especially meats. On the Friday before he had a big scare, meaning he really had a hard time getting a particular bite down. Enough so that he actually made an apt to see a doctor about it. Monday he goes in and the doc scolds him for waiting so long. This condition is one of the only real emergencies in his field as a gastro doc. So they put Daniel on the books to be 'ballooned' that afternoon (they go in and expand the esophagus to the appropriate size). An incident like this happened about 6 years ago when Daniel and I were just dating. He swallowed a grape whole and it actually got stuck. I came to the hospital and was there for the procedure. I know what happens when Daniel gets sedated and it's not good for anyone. So Alex and I drop off Daniel and go get an RX for him. This took an hour due to the business of the store and Daniel not having an actual physical insurance card. Long story short, I ended up coming out of the store with $40 of junk food (I was hungry. It was bad). We head back over to the hospital and when I get there they usher me back to recovery. "Oh, we are so glad you're here!" the nurses said, "we can't get him to hold still, maybe you can". Whilst under the influence of anesthesia Daniel managed to break several records according to the nurses. He tried to climb under the bed. Managed to kick off both of his shoes and wiggled more than any patient they had ever seen. When I got there he was constantly trying to get up. He'd rip out his oxygen in his nose. He'd rip off the oxygen monitor on his finger. They asked him to sit up and he did but forgot to stop so his forehead hit the bed. He'd fall asleep in a split second on the bed rails, or half way climbing over top the bed. FYI- Daniel is even more kind when he is drugged. "Thank you for your patience with me" he'd say to the nurses. "Oh, I love you so much Stephanie. This is when I fell in love with you". And so on. He also remembers a great deal of what he has been studying. I learned a lot about things I can't pronounce! So I am trying to stop my husband from going crazy and tend Alex. I thought it was going to be a short trip so I had no sippy, snack, pacifier or anything for the boy. I strapped him in the stroller and thankfully we had the snacks from the store and the iPad so he didn't cause too much of a rucus. But he was sure curious as to why daddy would occasionally pet him.
The nurses could not stop laughing. They were so entertained by Daniels craziness. They were concerned that I wouldn't be able to get him home safely. We stayed extra long because they wanted him to snap out of it a little more. They were shocked when I put him in the front seat, because apparently the back seat was much safer for him :-) I knew if I could just get him home he'd be fine. When we got home he started into the house alone. I cautioned him and told him to wait so I could help him. Sticking his arms in the air he said, "I'm okay! I wanna check my balance." What could I do? He came too about 9 o'clock that night and I had a great time retelling his story. But whew! That was a stressful day!
Another tragic event that occurred this week was within the family. Hurtful things were done, so hurtful things were said and it resulted in me being asked to never contact a member of my family again. This is oh so very sad to me. I am a fire cracker, as some call it, and I wish my intentions could be communicated more accurately but alas- it has not worked in this case.  Family is something that is beyond precious and eternal to me. I understand that there are rifts and the need for space, boundaries and limits - but to write someone off completely is sad and something I don't understand. So I've been trying to! I've come to a solution that I feel is accurate and so am more at peace with the situation. It just makes me sad. Daniel and I have been dealing with that this week as well.
THEN on Tuesday I get a call from my OB saying that my titer # has gone up and that I need to go see a specialist right away. This means that the antibody in my body was too high. The # they are safest with is an 8 - which I had been at this whole time. But in a month my number jumped to a 64. You're supposed to see a specialist when it reaches 16. Blah! So what this means is that my body is producing too much of this antibody for comfort. Basically my body is slowly trying to kill our child. It attacks his blood so the specialist does an ultrasound and checks the speed at which the blood flows in the baby. This tells them weather or not he is anemic. Anemic means that my body has destroyed enough blood cells to be very dangerous and might require 1.) an interutero blood transfusion or 2.) them to take the baby and then give him a transfusion. Man- technology these days is amazing!
I was tired and already stretched thin when I got this news and so I freaked out. I was just so worried about my little boy and how he was doing. I am so so so grateful for modern medicine. Chances are he'll be okay- but the chances of me even getting the antibody were 1% so I'm not really counting on things going peachy king. But it I didn't have a doctor and the knowledge they have and so on my baby might have died and I would have had no idea why. Anyway- so I got an apt with the specialist. We go do an in depth ultrasound where the doctor says that he is not anemic and is quite a mover :-) And, like Alex he is measuring 2 weeks ahead of schedule! Big boy! But Alex was said to be big too but he was only 7 lbs so I'm not as worried this time. I have to go back every two weeks to measure the velocity of his blood flow and just pray that he doesn't get anemic! But waiting those 2 days to find this out was oh so worrisome and stressful. Puts a whole new meaning when he moves. I love it :-)
And then I almost had to go to the ER because my heart was freaking out. But everything turned out okay there.
After the ultra sound things started to calm down a little bit. Whew! Thank heavens! We made it through the week! WOO HOO! We're still here and strong and chuggin a long :-) Pictures soon.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

HOLY KUH-RAZY!!

Glad you all survived. Hope this week is nice and relaxing.

Your post reminded me that I have to go to the balloon doctor soon. I wish I were as awesome under anesthesia as Daniel is...I'm sure Zara wold love to be pet like dog. :-) So funny...

Shiloh Roan Jacobs said...

What a crazy, crazy week! Means the only way forward is up or that someone else had a really GOOD week to make up for your horrible week! Glad everyone is okay and that both Daniel and baby boy are healthy! BTW, sounds like Daniel is a bitlike Andrew when he is drugged. I want Andrew on drugs always cause he is SO sweet and nice. I love it!! I think it's time for him to get his throat stretched :-)

Audrey Crisp said...

Wow! That is crazy stressful! Daniel sounds hilarious under the drugs. So glad your baby is okay! Hope you have a better week! Can't wait to see pics!